Good Citizens

We've had a great couple of days centered around being a good citizen.  Today we did our duty and voted in the Presidential Election of 2012!  I waited to vote until election day because I am hoping to make a memory with the kids and for the kids so that they will know how lucky we are to live in this great country and to have the privilege and responsibility of voting.

I look forward to the day when I no longer worry what other people may think about the kids out and about when other children are in school.  But today, I did think about it as we headed to the poles at 10:30 am when other students are in classrooms.  God is so great to speak to my worry today when I met another homeschool mom in line.  She has 7 years of homeschool experience (ages 6-17 currently at home), and is a foster mom who just welcomed a 6 week old last night!  I was so encouraged by her!  God is so sweet to meet me in my insecurities and continue to show me that I'm where He wants me today, and that's all I hope to be!



Yesterday we went on a field trip to Frisco City Hall.  City Hall is in the same building as the library, so we go there almost every week, but this was a great experience to see behind the scene at the library and the workings of city hall.  We started out visiting the City Counsel meeting room and the kids loved sitting in the counsel members seats and talking into the microphones.  Joelle was a little shy!  She was the last kid to claim a seat on the stage :).  Jacob loved talking into the microphone - which surprised me.  I love learning more about my kids and their personalities.




We went to the book return room on the 1st floor of the library and learned how the computers and conveyer belt checks the books in and sorts them into the correct basket.  It was really cool!



Then we got to meet Mayor Maso.  He was very welcoming to our group and spent what seemed like 20 minutes (I didn't check the time :)) with our 11 kids from Frisco HIS.  He answered questions and talked the kids about being a good citizen and also striving to be good at everything you do.  He said that it was the key to having success and being able to take advantage of opportunities in life.  I really appreciate the time and attention that he gave us.  He definitely made the kids feel important.  Thank you Mayor Maso!  *Jacob also interjected that in the year 2017 when the Mayor will no longer be eligible to serve as Mayor of Frisco, the new Star Wars movies from Disney will be coming out!*




Tonight we'll settle in to watch Fox News after Cub Scouts and Girl Scouts this evening!

Comments