Thankful Hearts & Second Chances

We had a wonderful Thanksgiving with Jerrell's family.  I hosted my first thanksgiving meal, though with much help from my mother-in-law and sister-in-law.


Jerrell had fun cutting our Turkey and opening an early Christmas present from his parents... a Johnny Footbal, #2 Texas A&M T-shirt.




I don't know how I didn't get any pictures of Juliette on Thanksgiving day, but here she is with her daddy the next morning.  :)  She's really getting big this month.  I feel bad because I'm already getting behind on her "monthly milestone" pictures...

We also had a visitor on Thanksgiving night!  There was ring at the doorbell and a special package was delivered from the North Pole!  We were chosen to adopt a scout elf this year from Santa.  The kids love this new tradition.  We named our elf Pete (but I call him Petey, which is becoming his new name).  



We all snuggled up on the couch to watch the movie about the scout elves.  Juliette even enjoyed the movie :).   Jacob wanted a letter from Santa himself about the whole elf business, so the first morning after Pete went to the north pole...


 A special letter from Santa was printed to our printer!  We are very lucky that Santa had access to our printer's email address.  Even Santa loves technology!


We also started a more meaningful tradition this year.  I've always wanted to do advent, and this year Jerrell's mom handed down the advent books they used growing up.  We are also using our Jesus Storybook Bible. (I highly recommend this Bible... the stories are beautifully written and illustrated and highlight God's big plan to send our Rescuer.  I often am brought to tears by the stories.)

We made a construction paper chain with each day's story that we are reading written on it.  I wrongly assumed that my children could loop and staple the paper without crushing and ripping it.  I found myself getting a little snappy, but I kept "reteaching" the skill until Joelle could successfully help me staple the links.

Then - God totally blessed me with her sweet spirit!  Joelle says, "Mom, I love you so much!"  I was a little confused why she'd be saying that when I'd just thought I'd been easily frustrated by our craft project...

"You always give me second chances!"

Isn't that exactly what God does for us?  Boy did I need a second chance with my own attitude and heart.  God is using my children to mold me and shape me.  I am humbled by this experience and I also cherish it!  I pray we are a family where iron sharpens iron, and this is a good start!




p.s. They are super excited about their Upwards basketball season!  Practices started the week after Thanksgiving.

Comments