Journal Time

Today we started our writing journals with our Shurley English grammar/composition curriculum.  I didn't think that I would enjoy this curriculum, but I really felt I needed something to teach grammar in an organized way.  I've been pleasantly surprised that Jacob and Joelle are enjoying our lessons.  I did skip several lessons in the beginning of the book, and there is a lot of repetition of skill, but I'm going to stick with the layout for now.  If they get bored, we may start to move more quickly through the lessons.

I hope to lead by example and blog during our "journal" writing time.  In a perfect world, we'd get to this everyday, but I'm sure 2-3 times a week is a better expectation.

I decided to start  both kids at the 1st level of this curriculum because it seems more structured than what they were getting in public school (NOT that anything was wrong with their previous instruction).  I always want their teachers to know that they were and are wonderful teachers for my children!  :)  The other reason I decided to start on the 1st level is to me obvious - so we could have 1 grammar lesson per day!  I can differentiate for their needs on their assignments and writing time, but it will be much easier to be on the same page for lessons each day.

As far as lessons we do together - I try to find as many things that we can do together as I can.  We have devotional time, calendar and memory verses together.  Also history, science, read aloud chapter books and math games.

They each have their own workbooks for math and their own books for reading.  I am also working more closely with Joelle on phonics.  They study their own words during word work time.

This week are are switching up our schedule for a change.  We are doing our "together" time all in the morning and then we'll have our math and daily 5 (for reading/language arts) in the afternoon so that they can be more flexible and independent during this time.

Juliette is more awake in the afternoon, so hopefully they can get more things done "on their own" when I am with her in the afternoons.

We will see how this week goes!  I feel like I'm always open to changing things to what works best for our schedule and general demeanor each week.  However, Jacob is a much more scheduled child and I hope we can find a good fit for a general expectation for what to do each day.  I think he'll feel more accomplished.

AND Juliette is awake, so this is the end of MY journal time for today!

Comments