Spring Fever

The weather has been intermittently beautiful & back to cold/stormy several times this spring.  Today we have beautiful skies and highs in the upper 70's  and in two days it's going to storm with temps in the 50's!

We are all getting spring fever and are ready to enjoy the warmer weather!  The problem I am facing is that "school" isn't out!  I can see the elementary school from my front door, and hear the kids playing at recess in the back yard.  This being said, I do not feel at liberty to let the kids ride their scooters or walk the dog during school hours.  I've often thought about just "checking in" with the front office in case the teachers at recess duty think there are some runaway kids on scooters on the loose.

On a morning of STAAR testing, the kids and I went for a walk around the time other kids were going to school and a teacher stopped traffic for us to head towards the school building... "We're going this way, :)" I said - feeling like I needed to say, "We homeschool... we're not just skipping STAAR."

This is so sad because when school is out in a month or so - it's going to be too hot to want to do those things for much longer.

So as a compromise, we've been taking more opportunities to learn outside, go to the park for picnic lunches and play dates, work in the yard and enjoy our short season of tolerable warmth here in Texas. The flip side is, we will continue some of our school work into the summer.  I'd like to finish up All About Spelling so we can start with level 2 next year.  We started AAS 1 in February and we're moving through it pretty quickly.  We also haven't finished our Grammar program (Shurley English - Level 1).  I think I may cut down the lessons to finish.  I'm not sure if we're going to continue this one next year.  We could always just pick up where we left of in the fall.

We also started a new science curriculum in February and the kids are loving it.  We're going slowly through the lessons and supplementing with some other activities/lessons

For example:

 We made solar ovens when studying the sun & created our own solar system project.



So whether or not we finish all of our curriculum by the end of May or keep going, or pick up in the fall, we've been making some wonderful memories along the way.



Here's some of my favorite:


  • taking time to weed the yard (when Jacob told me he accepted Christ as his savior)


Here's my post from Facebook:
Pulling weeds in the yard - talking about how Jesus helps us take care of weeds in our heart... Some lessons aren't written in lesson plans or learned at a desk. Jacob told me he accepted Christ as his Savior a couple of weeks ago at church and he's ready to be baptized! I'm learning that connecting with my boy is easier side by side than face to face.





  • reading outside (Calvin & Hobbs to Jerrell's delight)




  • feeding ducks and fishing in our neighborhood pond




  • and watching Juliette grow up so fast!


 all the kids snuggling in bed


 Happy Easter!


 slowly adapting to a play yard for school time
 I made Juliette this skirt
 picnic at the park

 Baby flip flops from Didi
 staying up late for Daddy to get home

 at the park
 Morning snuggles before Dad goes to work
Napping at Jacob's Baseball Game
Crazy Hat Day :)


Comments