Science is FUN!

After our "New Year's Resolutions" for homeschool talk, we decided we needed something more for science.  We decided to go with Apologia and we're starting with Astronomy.  Jacob was most interested in this topic - especially after receiving a telescope for Christmas!  (Thank you Ann!)

Each of them have a notebooking journal to go along with the text book (which we read and discuss together).  Joelle has the Jr. version and Jacob the original version.  The curriculum is written for K-6, and the reading level is closer to 4th grade.  I'm really enjoying the depth of the text and extensions/activities suggested.  I also have ideas that make their way into our days from when I taught science.  

I do enjoy teaching science, but found that the effort/supplies/hassle of engaging hands-on lessons was overwhelming in a school setting.  It's MUCH easier at home with an abundance of supplies close at hand and fewer students to prepare for ;).  Even more expensive projects are easier to handle when I'm only getting supplies for my kiddos instead of 20-40.

Our first fun project was a model of the solar system.  I was a little ambitious with this one, but I think it was well worth it.  Surely time will tell.  Here is a link with most of the procedures I used:

This was just an artsy project *and did warn that it was messy.  :)  It was.








The Sun died :(.  I didn't use enough yarn, I watered down my glue a little too much, and my balloon was enormous!  All these things lead to the downfall of the sun.  I haven't decided exactly what we'll do to make a new one... something different for sure :).

I'm going to use command hooks to hang them from the ceiling in the hallway upstairs unless I can get Jerrell to bring a ladder up stairs to hang it in the classroom.  I'll post a picture of the final product when it's hung.  

In hind sight - the glitter wasn't necessary and it doesn't add much to the final product.  It was just one more part of the mess though.  And Joelle loves glitter, so maybe she'll have more fond memories because of it.  

Needless to say, we're all more excited about science each day!

Comments